[extropy-chat] Futures Past

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Mon Oct 10 02:57:55 UTC 2005

At 10:40 PM 10/9/2005, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
>In fact, I am not interested in SF much at all for prediction
>purposes.  My real interest is whether transhumanists have been
>better at predicting the future than mainstream predictors.

If this is your interest there is really no practical substitute for
the sort of data analysis I proposed earlier today.  You need to
collect predictions by transhumanists and by others and look at the
coefficient on TRANSHUMANIST? when accuracy is the dependent
variable.  I know it is more fun to flame and bait, selectively
recalling the predictions one got right and others got wrong, and
making a few new predictions one hopes to selectively recall at a
future date.  But for a real lasting contribution on this issue, we
need scholarship.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323