[extropy-chat] Futures Past

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:23:49 UTC 2005

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:14:26AM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:
>
> > Actually I'm inclined to agree with all this; I'm not a believer in the
> > "superintelligent AI pops out of someone's basement into a world that
> > otherwise looks mostly like today" scenario, and I was never a great fan
> of
>
> If it means a world full of unaugmented people, then it is a world "mostly
> like today". Because nanomedicine is much harder than molecular
> electronics
> and spintronics, AI will come considerably before augmentation.

But molecular electronics and spintronics aren't close to enough for AI by
themselves. Also, when we have AI it should be able to help with
nanomedicine.

> Singularity definitions based on unpredictability (then we've had zillions
> > of them) or incomprehensibility (I don't believe anything in this
> universe
> > is fundamentally incomprehensible to a sufficiently educated human
> mind).
>
> Do you think you could explain your daily work to a field mouse?

Nope, which is why I didn't say a sufficiently educated field mouse!

(I'm familiar with the analogy of transhuman:human as human:lower animal,
but that's another thing I don't believe in, though I did happily use it for
a fictional villain.)

- Russell