[extropy-chat] Futures Past

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 10 18:01:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:25:34PM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:

> Depends on what computer speeds are - silicon computers are much slower than
> human brains, after all, in terms of raw computing power. (From that
> perspective, an earlier Singularity would be more controllable than a late
> one.)

The substrate per se has little to do with it. I'm pretty sure a thimbleful
full of delicately doped silicon nanowire can leave the smartest human in
the dust, if properly arranged, and initiated with the right magic pattern.

It's clear enough our current beige boxes are pathetic. But, there are lots
of them on this planet, and 100 MBit/s FTC is being busily rolled out as we speak,
with ~GBit and beyond on the horizon. Seen a PS3 yet? Multiple GBit ports,
and about an order of magnitude more crunch than the fattest current box,
even when not utilizing in-core parallelism.

Now this is still patently ridiculous, but give us 30 more years.