Any progress towards AI at all? was Re: [extropy-chat] Futures Past

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 10 18:15:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:30:19PM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:

> > My approach worked at least once (we're soaking in it), yours hasn't so
> > far.
>
> Your approach required a nanocomputer the size of a planet running for four

Ah, but it has hardly started cranking, yet. And it's just an infinitesimal
veneer of computational slime smeared across an inert planetary body.
And it's even not really a nanocomputer, given that linear polymer dynamics suffer
viscous drag from hell. It's slow, and diluted, and the only drive it
knows is co-evolution dynamics. No motivation at all.

Kinda strange that it succeeded, with that handicap. But it did! So we don't
have to replay that awfully boring movie. We can take off at about where it
ended.

> billion years, and even with those resources it failed 57 grillion times for
> one success if the Great Silence is anything to go by! (Have you worked with

But we already have the answer (and it's not 42). We don't have to repeat the
process. We already have a blueprint where we pluck our educated guesses
from: me and you, and our lesser primate and insect cousins.

> evolutionary computation at all?)

Yes. We don't have evolutionary computation, yet.

> > But, I'm not holding my breath. It's too strangling a constraint, and
> > a seed is already hard as is.
>
> I'm trying to prove you wrong, though admittedly you wouldn't be wise to
> hold your breath!

/me turns cyanotic, and gasps for air.

> > Unfortunately, this is beyond ASIC budget. Way beyond ASIC budget.
> > This could easily ruin a major manufacturer, so nobody is going
> > to try until prototyping costs fall due to desktop nanoelectronics
> > fabs (which won't be there by 2015, not even by 2025).
>
> Agreed there also. (Indeed, short of Friendly AI we're never going to see
> desktop molecular factories for legal reasons alone.)

The fabs I'm thinking of are just organic electronic inkjets on steroids.
Maybe hybrid (nanodot) ink. Maybe dip-pen litho. (But certainly damn expensive ink cartridges.
And about two-three orders of magnitude more expensive than your average
Canon photoprinter).