[extropy-chat] A sad day

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Mon Oct 10 20:28:34 UTC 2005

 (10/10/05 11:35) Robert J. Bradbury <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

>Obviously, since we have building codes and most third world countries
>do not.  But as Katrina clearly showed even the best building codes
>may not be up to what nature can throw at us.

The assumption here is that New Orleans buildings met their building codes. Having lived in Louisiana for 6 years, I would not be willing to make that bet.  Few people outside of that state truly understand the level of graft and corruption within the state and local governments there. It was common knowledge in Baton Rouge, at least, that restaurant sanitation grades could be easily purchased. Why should building inspections be any different?

Brent

--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein