[extropy-chat] Extropy, Political Viewpoint and the Futureof ExI'sList

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 13:19:45 UTC 2005

--- "nvitamore at austin.rr.com" <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> >To clarify my position at least...
> >I see politics as being the medium of interaction between people (or
> >even the higher animals).
>
> Yes, this is what politics means.
>
> >Political ideologies are different because they are essentially a
> >sibling of religion in that they attempt to provide an all-
> >encompassing worldview that
> >explains, predicts and controls (or tries to).
>
> >By this definition Extropy is a political ideology.
>
> "a political ideology is a certain ethical, set of ideals,
> principles, doctrines, myths or symbols of a social movement,
> institution, class, or large group that explain how society should
> work, and offer some political and cultural blueprint for a certain
> social order. A political ideology largely concerns itself with how
> to allocate power and to what ends it should be used. It can be a
> construct of political thought, often defining political parties
> and their policy. The popularity of an ideology is in part due to
> the influence of moral entrepreneurs, who sometimes act in their
> own interests."
>
> Extropy is a philosophical viewpoint.  Extropy does not have a
> political thought that evokes "extropy" in its true sense.

Lets see if this is true, or just weasel wording:

From:http://extropy.org/principles.htm
"Perpetual Progress

Extropy means seeking more intelligence, wisdom, and effectiveness, an
open-ended lifespan, and the removal of political, cultural,
biological, and psychological limits to continuing development.
Perpetually overcoming constraints on our progress and possibilities as
individuals, as organizations, and as a species. Growing in healthy
directions without bound."

The above advocates life extension, intelligence and wisdom
enhancement, minimizing government and social restrictions on
development. This is a political agenda, not just a philosophy.

"Self-Transformation

Extropy means affirming continual ethical, intellectual, and physical
self-improvement, through critical and creative thinking, perpetual
learning, personal responsibility, proactivity, and experimentation.
Using technology — in the widest sense to seek physiological and
neurological augmentation along with emotional and psychological
refinement."

This advocates the personal right to technology. This is also a
political agenda.

"Practical Optimism

Extropy means fueling action with positive expectations – individuals
and organizations being tirelessly proactive. Adopting a rational,
action-based optimism or "proaction", in place of both blind faith and
stagnant pessimism."

Proaction is activism, i.e. political advocacy, a political agenda.

"Intelligent Technology

Extropy means designing and managing technologies not as ends in
themselves but as effective means for improving life. Applying science
and technology creatively and courageously to transcend "natural" but
harmful, confining qualities derived from our biological heritage,
culture, and environment."

Use of technology to overcome biology, culture, and environment: a
political agenda.

"Open Society - information and democracy

Extropy means supporting social orders that foster freedom of
communication, freedom of action, experimentation, innovation,
questioning, and learning. Opposing authoritarian social control and
unnecessary hierarchy and favoring the rule of law and decentralization
of power and responsibility. Preferring bargaining over battling,
exchange over extortion, and communication over compulsion. Openness to
improvement rather than a static utopia. Extropia ("ever-receding
stretch goals for society") over utopia ("no place")."

Hmmm. Advocating Freedom of communication, action, experimentation,
innovation, questioning, and learning: all political agendas. Opposing
authoritarianism, heirarchism and advocating law and decentralization,
markets, openness. All political agenda.

"Self-Direction

Extropy means valuing independent thinking, individual freedom,
personal responsibility, self-direction, self-respect, and a parallel
respect for others."

More political agenda.

"Rational Thinking

Extropy means favoring reason over blind faith and questioning over
dogma. It means understanding, experimenting, learning, challenging,
and innovating rather than clinging to beliefs."

Advocating reason over faith and dogma: also, a political agenda.

The extropian principles are steeped in political ideology.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com