[extropy-chat] energy from osmosis

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 21:49:29 UTC 2005

This is fun!  Thanks, Spike.

In his original post Spike tells us that the pipe must
go down approx 9600 meters for the fresh water to come
up and out the fresh water pipe at an elevation above
that of the source sea level. Then he rightly adds
that the pipe need not be vertical.  With this we gain
the concept of horizontal travel for the outlet
stream.

Let me than add that there are various land locations
on the planet that are at elevations significantly
below sea level:

Dead Sea: -411m
Lake Assal, Djibouti: –156 m
Turfan, China: -154m
Death Valley, Calif.: –86 m
Valdes Peninsula, Argentina: –40 m

The Qattara Depression contains the second lowest
point in Africa, is approximately 15,000 square km and
is largely below sea level: lowest point: -133 m

So how about a calculation for the pipe depths
necessary to bring up fresh water to these lower
elevations?

Also, regarding schemes of this sort, osmotic
differential is by no means the only opportunity for
exploitation:

Mediterranean-Qattara solar-hydro and pumped-storage
development

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/unupbooks/80858e/80858E0a.htm

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles