[extropy-chat] Serenity: "...make people better."

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 18:19:58 UTC 2005

On 10/13/05, Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> I have noticed, in conversations with luddish people, that the true
> concern is not actually over "better", but over "make".

Absolutely.

If transhumanists came across as saying "we want technology to improve
ourselves, if other people want to use it too that's fine with us, it's a
matter of individual choice", most people's reaction wouldn't be worse than
"eh, those guys are weird".

The reason people like Fukuyama regard transhumanism as something to be
feared and hated is that they (not without reason) perceive transhumanists
as saying "we want technology to improve ourselves, those who join us will
be saved, all others will be forcibly converted or exterminated like the
inferior creatures you are!"

- Russell