[extropy-chat] Serenity: "...make people better."

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 13 23:36:08 UTC 2005

...attributions, please:

> > > On 10/13/05, Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net>
> > wrote:
> > > If transhumanists came across as saying "we want
> > technology to improve
> > > ourselves, if other people want to use it too
> > that's fine with us, it's a
> > > matter of individual choice", most people's
> > reaction wouldn't be worse than
> > > "eh, those guys are weird".

Not quite what I said, and definitely not what I wrote.

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Adrian's message on the other hand, will not garner us
> much publicity good or bad, but will allow us to work
> our plans to fruition without too much opposition.

I beg to differ.  Yes, it's not "join us OR ELSE" - but people can
already see the "else".  It's all around them already, and growing
almost every day.  No need to harp on it.  On the other hand, many
people don't see a way that they can prosper from what's going on -
thus their fear.  That's where we come in.

> However without SOME converts will we probably not
> attain the resources we need to fulfill our ambitions
> either, even if we were completely unopposed.

Give those who are afraid of the future a way out - a way which happens
to lead to our side - and we'll gain those converts.  The more of the
desired future that we make real, the easier this will be.