[extropy-chat] Serenity: "...make people better."

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 05:55:06 UTC 2005

On 10/14/05, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Being "downsized" and replaced by automation is one of
> the big fears of luddites. It is not competition per
> se, because the software gets nothing for its efforts.
> How can anybody compete with something capable of
> working 24/7 for free?

Yep. After all there's 95% unemployment now because computers have replaced
human "computers" (yes, it used to be a job title) and assembly line workers
and clerks etc, and most of the population have starved to death...

...meanwhile back here on Earth, that hasn't happened at all, has it? Why
not?

Go ahead and declare your agenda to be the extermination of the human race,
go ahead and declare your enemies' fear to be only that of unemployment, if
that's your choice. I'm inclined to wish you wouldn't, because I think
Charybdis is deadlier than Scylla, but I have no power over you. But one
thing you can never truthfully say is that I didn't tell you so.

- Russell