[extropy-chat] Re: [Meta] Mail format

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 14:49:24 UTC 2005

On 10/16/05, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> On 10/15/05, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > Jef, I don't like this microsoft outlook express way of replying to
> email with lines down the side its pretty cumbersome and has meant I've
> spent less time working your
> > substantive points than I might have because I was messing about with
> how to reply to your post.
> >

> Sorry about the format. I switched a few weeks ago from Mozilla
> Thunderbird to Gmail (second attempt, now that Gmail has added a few
> more features) to see how well I could do with a 100% web based
> platform, and I'm still learning to cope with it.

In my case you can blame the spammers.
I used to us a normal email account and now use gmail.
The reason is that apart from my websites I also post on Usenet a lot.
Consequently I get (on the old address) some 200 pieces of crap every day.
Not so on gmail. Their filter system is wellnigh perfect.

The overall effect of spam is going to be the rise to dominance in
communications of big players like MS and Google. Apart from their filters
they are the only people powerful enough to hunt down spammers and actually
put them in prison.

Dirk