[extropy-chat] Alternative to Cryo wasTheAmazingCellularRepairdevice

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Oct 16 16:19:58 UTC 2005

"Brett Paatsch" <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au>

> Your weren't put together in lego block fashion.

You were put together in exactly a Lego block fashion. One tiny transfer RNA
molecule grabbed hold of an even smaller amino acid molecule and brought it
to a place dictated by a large messenger RNA molecule that was created by an
even larger DNA molecule. A fraction of a second later another transfer RNA
molecule grabbed hold of a different amino acid and the messenger RNA told
it to place if very carefully next to the first amino acid and then it
connected to it. Repeat this assembly process several thousand times and you
have a long sequence of amino acids, release this sequence and it folds up
into a very complex shape called a protein. Repeat this protein making
process several million billion times and we get you.

> I don't see how any future technology could put your
> atoms back together by rebuilding the organic chemistry
> structures.

And I don't see why not, but actually the question is irrelevant. Once there
was a readout of the position of all the molecules in your body (a much
lower resolution would probably be sufficient) I very much doubt anyone
would even try to reconstruct another body made of proteins and fats
floating in water like we have now, rather the function of the brain neurons
would be duplicated in silicon hardware, or perhaps just in software, if
done carefully we'd never notice the difference.

 > you can make say an ice cream out of  steal.

Your brain and mine were made from last years potatoes, and more than 20
years ago somebody made diamonds out of peanut butter; ice cream out of
steal would be more difficult because you'd have to transmute iron into
carbon hydrogen oxygen and nitrogen and a few other trace elements,  but it
wouldn't be magic, transmutation has been accomplished, and on a industrial
scale too. It's not like time travel or perpetual motion or anti gravity, it
wouldn't violate any known law of physics.

   John K Clark