[extropy-chat] Re: A view of what politics is

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 05:58:26 UTC 2005

Having a black belt, or being rich, while buying apples is not being
"violent". But threatening to beat the other guy to a pulp, or force
him out of business, if he does not sell at a given price, is
violence.
Look Rafal, we have been discussing this for years on this list. I do
not question that free trade between consenting individuals, without
using violence, where every player is free to set a fair price for
products and services, and free market dynamics does the work,  is a
good thing.
All I am saying is that it does not happen in the real world.
In the real world power is a runaway phenomenon - more power you have,
more power you get - and those with power can and do disrupt free
market dynamics. Instead of buying apples at the fair price set by the
market, the guy with the big guns can force all producers to sell at a
minimum price barely sufficient for subsistence. This is what happens
in the real world unless some kind of balancing mechanism is put in
place.
G.