[extropy-chat] Recipe for Destruction - Joy/Kurzweil NYTimes Op-Ed

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Mon Oct 17 23:36:20 UTC 2005

There's some misreading of the intent here.

Kurzweil is simply using the latest bird flu news and other flu news to push
into the national consciousness the idea that we need better anti-virus
(literally) tech.

I don't see anyone here bitching about having access to antivirus software. You
_would_ be bitching if you didn't have any. Actually you might not be able to
bitch because your computer would be taken over.

That's what this is about - he's not pro-relinquishment, but rather wants
acceleration of defensive tech.

It's basic risks management. Trying to throw into the mix all kinds of
government ranting is missing the point completely.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/