[extropy-chat] Re: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 25, Issue 35

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:54:42 UTC 2005

> The Avantguardian said <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com

>Quite frankly, I don't like it. When the government
>stops trusting it's citizens, it stops being
>trustworthy.  Those that do the scaremongering are
>essentially giving the government an excuse strip us
>of yet more freedoms. Thus they are the propagandists
>and apologists for a government that has lost sight of
>its part in the social contract. Banning certain forms
>of knowledge is a slippery slope toward
>totalitarianism.

Amen to that! I couldn't agree agree more with these sentiments.

We should stop being afraid. Lightning, measles, driving a car, surviving
the hormonal upsets of puberty, owning a bicycle, smoking and influenza are
all bigger dangers than terrorism...

Frank Herbert's 'Litany against fear" is installed as an extension in my
Firefox browser to remind me that (in his words):

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I
will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will
be nothing. Only I will remain."

Jack Parkinson