[extropy-chat] Recipe for Destruction - Joy/Kurzweil NYTimes Op-Ed

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Tue Oct 18 18:26:36 UTC 2005

Russell Wallace wrote:

> I'm not proposing that it be buried in a secret government warehouse and
> never see the light of day, just that some sort of control be exercised
> over who gets hold of it. Look, biochemistry isn't software, we're not
> going to see a cure for influenza created by a 15 year old in his
> bedroom.

And yet, in the 1960s computers were expensive enough and limited to
organizations so that a 15 year old couldn't do anything with them.

Recall that Kurzweil is coming from an expected milieu where he assumes biotech
gear will continue to drop in price and increase in performance.

Think not of 15 year olds today, but in 2015. 2020.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/