[extropy-chat] Re: Recipe for Destruction - Joy/Kurzweil NYTimes Op-Ed

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 09:35:07 UTC 2005

On 10/19/05, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> But exactly what is and is not harm? Who decides? Who has your trust?

I don't think it's a question of trust, but of how to accomplish goals,
given that we pretty much agree on what those goals are; neither of us want
to see biotechnology used as a weapon, but we also don't want to see its use
for peaceful purposes restricted.

Academic freedom does matter. Self-policing generally to mollify others who
> largely don't understand the problem space and have many unfounded or
> overblown fears and opinions is suicidal.

Okay, that actually addresses the core of the issue. I don't think either of
us is going to convince the other on that one, so I'll refrain from arguing
it further, but it's clear where we disagree now.

- Russell