[extropy-chat] more ice in greenland = more green in iceland

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 23 20:28:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 01:05:10PM -0700, spike wrote:

> I hadn't heard of this as a possibility, but
> imagine this scenario: in a few hundred years, global

In a few hundred years I'd be very surprised to see
primate bauplan people still frolicking around.

> warming causes warmer air, which is able to hold more
> moisture with the result being more rain and snowfall,
> a warmer, wetter planet, longer growing seasons everywhere
> with receding glaciers, advancing rain forest replacing
> receding deserts with thicker ice on Greenland and
> Antarctica, resulting in a lowering sea level.
>
> Would that be cool or what?

http://www.google.com/search?hs=qQ6&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=famine+global+warming&btnG=Search

...would be perhaps not so cool, and could become
a reality a lot quicker than a few hundred years.

One of Jared Diamond's cited causes of collapse is
a climate change. We are not yet sufficiently decoupled from the
global ecology to make food from thin air.