[extropy-chat] give 'em boundless wealth in the form of nuclear power

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Oct 23 20:46:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 10:41:22PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> The very large difference between carbon dioxide and dihydrogen oxide
> is that water is readily available, and carbon dioxide has to
> be enrichened from 0.03% atmospheric content. Fighting against
> entropy with primitive means is going to cost you a pretty penny

That's what I figured.  OTOH, hydrocarbons are a proven energy storage and
transfer mechanism, with lots of infrastructure; being able to make them (or
alcohols) for transportation may still make sense.

> idiotic. Much easier is to rely on plant fixation as biomass, but

See, that's an answer: plants are much better at it than we are.

Though the 40% CO2->methanol process didn't sound bad.

-xx- Damien X-)