[extropy-chat] Nuke 'em

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Sun Oct 23 22:55:10 UTC 2005

I can second this.  Having done tort work (i.e. legalese for "things that go "boom!") in the hydrocarbon energy industry for 18 years, I've encountered hydrogen embrittlement accidents every few years -- most recently within the last couple of months.  As 'gene points out, it's just a matter of using the right materials.  There are spiderwebs of hydrogen pipeline in all the refineries down here on the Gulf.  Something Bad happens only when someone doesn't use the right kind of material to handle it.  But it does require a consciousness of the proper materials regime and a long-distance hydrogen pipeline system *would* be a Big Deal, as others have pointed out.