[extropy-chat] gm biodiesel 'em

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Sat Oct 29 03:33:19 UTC 2005

> And the politically correct are OK about converting farmland from food to
> fuel production in an increasingly hungry world?
>
> Dirk
>

> This is what I suspected when you first asked. Ours
> is a decreasingly hungry world:

Think Spike said that? Unclear from the dated snip...

Anyway, the UN would disagree with you about decreasing hunger, as would
just about any NGO you might like to consult on this topic...
http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/oct/14wfp.htm

On Oct 14th, the UN said that 6 million people had already dead of hunger
this year - this is a death-toll equivalent to US losses in Iraq for every
2-3 hours of every day I think...

Not to mention the 1 in 4 kids around the world who are malnourished right
now - and the 1 in 3 dying of hunger before the age of 5 years in hell-holes
like Haiti...

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm

I'd say the scale of world hunger today pales your average famine of
yesteryear into relative obscurity.  Africa is a lot worse off than they
were a generation ago - and they are unfortunately not alone...
Jack Parkinson