[extropy-chat] LASER: DARPA's HELLADS small laser weapon makes headway

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 02:28:10 UTC 2005

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technovel_darpa_lasers_050830.html

> > > Hummer,
> 150 kW
> > > useful
> > > >

> > > Better hope the enemy doesn't catch on to wrapping their mortar
> > > rounds etc in carbon fibre mat.
> > > I've seen lasers with a higher power density than that stopped
> dead
> > > by it. Makes a pretty light, though, as it re-radiates.
> >
> > I'm sure, though I'm not too sure that the mat doesn't abrade the
> bore
> > of the mortar. Even so, if it gives off that much heat, radiating
> the
> > laser energy, it should be easily targetable by a perimter defense
> > phalanx gun with a FLIR seeker.
> >

> Well, mortar rounds are already quite trackable by radar so using a
> HEL to illuminate them seems a bit redundant.

Hardly. A radar itself can be homed in on with an anti-radiation
missile or other weapon. A FLIR is passive, and thus a better sensor,
just as passive sonar is more secure than active sonar.

> IIRC the US and Israel were talking of deploying a similar system to
> hit katyusha rockets fired at settlements. haven't heard much since
> about it though.
> Problem is that hardening munitions against laser energy is
> relatively easy.
> Maybe all hamas/Hezbollah would have to do is either polish the
> rockets or
> coat them in sawdust/glue. There is not an infinitely long time
> window in which to down these things.
>
> I suspect that the reason it's being deployed on aircraft is to zap
> MANPADS
> like Stinger that rely on delicate sensors so more low level flying
> can be undertaken in places like Afghanistan.

Actually, the THEL has been tested against katyushas. And despite the
claims of the disparagers, polishing or sawdust and glue doesn't do
anything to protect against a high energy laser. Its all well and good
to talk about it, but proving it is another thing.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com