[extropy-chat] Getting AId to people in need

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 05:56:18 UTC 2005

--- "kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:

> Is it my imagination or is someone bumbling this
> entire rescue effort in New Orleans? I cannot
> believe for a second that FEMA just found out this
> morning that thousands of people were at the
> convention center and 8 hours later the best they
> could do was a single Blackhawk helicopter with
> bottled water.

Well I feel like its complaining about spilled milk,
but it seems pretty obvious to me. You can't cut
taxes, fund a $250 billion dollar ground war, AND be
prepared for disaster relief. Not unless the Federal
Government is somehow capable of magically creating
money and manpower. As far as I know the federal
government is drowning in a bathtub right now. It's
called the Mississippi Basin. We get what we ask for.
A little over half of us voted for these types of
policies, so we got exactly what we deserved.

This is 4 days after this event. I am
> certain there are supplies all around that area just
> waiting to get to people. Why aren't there C130s
> flying out of Baton Rouge dropping water and MREs?
> Where is the command and control center? >

We have most of our logistics infrastructure in the
middle east to support to our troops in Iraq. Even as
it is, the logistic support to the troops on the
ground is suboptimal in regards to certain things like
body armor and hard topped vehicles for convoy
support.
I don't believe there are that many spare C130s to
drop off any spare MREs to the people affected.

I hardly think an administration that can't foresee
the need for an exit strategy when entering a war
would have a contigency plan for natural disaster
during the war.

Karma is a bitch and nature does not care how
self-righteous you are. The humbling of America has
begun.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson