[extropy-chat] Manhattan vs. New Orleans

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 2 11:31:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:53:13AM -0400, David Lubkin wrote:

> My impression, from coverage and commentary of New Orleans, is there

My impression from third-hand information from the trenches is
that the mass media are innacurate and really slow (by at least 24 h)
reporters. Some rather interesting news gets entirely unreported. YMMV.

> are heroics, but less dramatic. Certainly many people trying to help
> one another. But an atmosphere in many areas of felonious barbarity.
> Looting, rape, murder, brutality -- not to save oneself or one's
> loved ones, but in sociopathic nihilism.

Local police command chain has become dissociated, with local forces
participating in the looting. Failure to enforce order has caused
external support to stop for time being. Patients are dying like flies.

> (1) Do you agree that these are the pictures that have been painted
> for us of the two events?

Painted by whom?

> (2) Do you think either reflect the gist of what has happened? If
> not, what has caused the distortion(s)?

I don't see any active distortion in the mass media which is not
caused by the usual incompetence.

> (3) What explains the differences between these two portrayed

The two classes of events are completely incomparable at about
every level. I won't even start enumerating.