[extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debate framed from a game theory standpoint ?

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat Sep 3 05:58:25 UTC 2005

A terrific source for informed analysis of the economic questions about
Peak Oil comes from http://www.econbrowser.org , the weblog of James
D. Hamilton, Professor of Economics at UC San Diego.  This blog, which
started just this past June, is a great resource for insight on all kinds
of economic topics, but JDH has taken a particular interest in Peak Oil
and has shed very helpful light from an economic perspective.

http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/energy/index.html provides all of
his energy-related postings, but in particular I would point to the
three part series:

How to talk to an economist about peak oil
http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/2005/07/how_to_talk_to.html

Further discussion about economists and peak oil
http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/2005/07/further_discuss.html

Discussions with economists about peak oil: Chapter 3
http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/2005/07/discussions_wit.html

These expand on the ideas I listed earlier about what we would expect
to see if insiders really believed that Peak Oil were coming in the next
few years, and how that doesn't match up with reality.

You will also find many more good articles elsewhere on his blog,
including discussions of the impact of Katrina on the oil markets and
on the economy.  I am finding Econbrowser to be an invaluable resource
for improving my understanding of what is going on in the world.

Another interesting economics blog, not as good as Econbrowser
but still worth reading occasionally, is the Freakonomics blog at
http://www.freakonomics.com/blog.php by the authors of the book.
Steven Levitt is the award winning economist who writes most of the
articles and he has had quite a few recently about oil markets in general
and Peak Oil in particular.

Hal Finney