[extropy-chat] FWD (PvT) An Anniversary

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 3 19:30:36 UTC 2005

Impossible!  That was before global warming.

> ...NHC have to be sad and angry at what has happened for they
> did an outstanding job of forecasting the track of the storm and of
> putting out the warnings only to have the idiots in NOLA crap it all
away...
> Steve

There was a NOVA program a few months ago where they
talked about what would happen should a hurricane hit
near New Orleans.  I only saw part of it, but what I
saw was stunningly prescient.  The guy had a pole 18
feet long, down in the French sector, talking about
how the water would go this high after the levy failed
somewhere near Lake Ponchartrain, filled the basin, and
it would happen most likely *after* the eye of the storm
was well inland, since the storm would carry moisture
up the river, drop rain, water would back up, over it
goes, wash away the support for the levy, low basin
fills in, loss of life and property difficult to
imagine.  Right, right, right and right.

Did anyone else see that program?  Wasn't it on just
a few months ago?  Has it already been mentioned here?