[extropy-chat] Getting AId to people in need

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sun Sep 4 14:39:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > Your improper assumption was that New Orleans wasn't a third world
> > country before this disaster. I don't know how many times I've heard
> > that people like to go there specifically because it has third world
> > country characteristics without having to leave the US.
>
> When making our way from the New Orleans airport to the
> city center (earlier this year), my wife and I had exactly
> that feeling.
>
> New Orleans looks and feels like a poorer city in Brazil.
> Richer cities in Brazil appear to be better off than New
> Orleans was before Katrina.

A friend of mine visited NO in 1999. He got turned around somehow
while out walking/sightseeing and found himself off the main track. He
is not a small or easily intimidated person, but he was *very* glad to
get back to "civilization".

A young man who worked near me said, after his trip to NO some years
ago, that he would never go there again... he'd never seen such
behaviour anywhere in his life before and was glad to leave. I do not
recall whether he was there for MardiGras or not; that could certainly
explain his reaction though, IMHO! :)))

As I'm not a party animal or heavy drinker, NO has had no attraction
for me; good seafood is available other places!

There was a website at one time:
http://www.acadiacom.net/nopd/tips.htm
"NEW ORLEANS POLICE DEPARTMENT
"Street Smart"
Tips for Working, Living & Playing Downtown"

The safety suggestions there were not unusual, but it seemed odd to be
sent to such a site as a tourist... Somewhat disconcerting.

Regards,
MB