[extropy-chat] Re: Ethics of contrarianism

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Mon Sep 5 04:04:30 UTC 2005

I disagree.  I see derivatives, including options, as ways of dealing with risk and there's nothing parasitic about that in my eyes.  Yes, some people are deluded and are basically giving their money away, but, used correctly, I see nothing unethical about them.  In fact, in a sense, this is no different from how many people accept a job as an employee for a salary versus going into business for themselves.  The latter involves much more risk, but the rewards are often much higher.  The former involves much less risk, but at the cost of lower pay.  (Perhaps what's being left out here is ex ante psychic profit -- using "psychic" to mean "of the mind" rather than some spooky mumbo jumbo.  People who take the lower risk when they know they'll get less pay are still obtaining a psychic profit in terms of lowered risk.)

Regards,

Dan