[extropy-chat] Getting AId to people in need

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 16:09:48 UTC 2005

--- MB <mbb386 at main.nc.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>

> > On Sep 4, 2005, at 7:39 AM, MB wrote:
> > >

> > > As I'm not a party animal or heavy drinker, NO has had no
> attraction
> > > for me; good seafood is available other places!
> > >
> [...]
> >
> > But what is the point?  Are we trying to lessen what has happened
> by
> > denigrating the city and its people?
> >

> In no way. This whole situation is horrific.
>
> Merely that NO has had, for many years, a reputation for lawless
> behaviour, so why is it shocking now to see, in this crisis, lawless
> behaviour in those who had been left behind?

Moreover, when we see that those police 'guarding' stores from looters
were only doing so while tv cameras were there, and then joined in the
looting themselves (if they were not already before the cameras
arrived), when we see NO police firing on US Army Corps of Engineers
people who were armed, simply because they were armed?

FEMA does not operate in a mode of sweeping into a location and
replacing all the locals there. While it is obvious the current
leadership is incompetent, FEMAs job is to come in to coordinate the
efforts of locals with help coming in from other states. When local
police are too busy looting to give good information, it is no wonder
FEMA doesn't know what is going on.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com