[extropy-chat] Re: Ethics and evolution

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Sep 5 18:29:18 UTC 2005

kevinfreels wrote:

>You are assuming a great leap forward on automation where robots can roof
>houses, pour concrete, and hang siding. There's lots of "grunt" jobs out
>there that will not be replaced for a long time. Of course, that day will
>come, but when it does, I would like to think we will also have the ability
>to "cure" such IQ problems with a cost small enough to justify making the
>person a productive member of society.

Ah, but the goalposts keep moving. The nootropic technology to move
someone from IQ 70 to 100 can also move everyone who's already
farther up the bell curve. Indeed, I'd expect that the SD of the IQ
curve will increase, not decrease, as enabling technologies appear,
until we approach ultimate limits on per-entity cognition.

-- David Lubkin.