[extropy-chat] Re: Ethics and evolution

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 02:01:07 UTC 2005

On 06/09/05, kevinfreels.com <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:
> You are assuming a great leap forward on automation where robots can roof
> houses, pour concrete, and hang siding. There's lots of "grunt" jobs out
> there that will not be replaced for a long time. Of course, that day will
> come, but when it does, I would like to think we will also have the ability
> to "cure" such IQ problems with a cost small enough to justify making the
> person a productive member of society.

This is a bit old, but check it out:

http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-05/features/whole-house-machine/

"With a soft whir, the contour crafter's head lays down inch-high
extrusions of viscous concrete, one atop another, as a pie-shaped
trowel smooths the surface. The head moves at 5 inches per second,
which would create a 2,000-square-foot house in 24 hours. "

etc

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *