[extropy-chat] Re: Ethics and evolution

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 04:01:01 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Technotranscendence
>
> I think it's better not to call prices "inflated."  Prices rise or fall
> and usually not together.  In this case, though, the important thing to
> ask is why did the human raise the price? ...

In order to make more money.  I expect every businesshuman
to work towards maximizing profits.

>... It's not usually based on
> caprice -- and were it based on that, we'd expect to see people raising
> prices all the time for the heck of it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

They would raise prices if they were not afraid of
losing sales to competitors.  The gas stations are
speculating that they will sell every drop, even
with inflated prices.  I see no foul in that.  I
am always wary of any suggestion that excess profit
is somehow unethical or unreasonable, unless there
are actual lives at stake.