[extropy-chat] Re: peak oil debate framed from a game theory standpoint ?

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Wed Sep 7 17:05:01 UTC 2005

At 12:54 PM 9/7/2005, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > So why are you not speculating in these markets to make all the money
> > you think is there to be taken.  Or are you also one of those fools?
>
>I'm one of those fools who think that gaming the market for personal
>gain, *while making the actual problem worse* is kinda unethical.

But as Hal explained, betting that oil prices will rise will raise oil
prices, and higher oil prices is exactly what the world needs if in fact
we will soon have less oil than we expect to have.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323