[extropy-chat] The Hidden Luddite was Re: peak oil debate

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 8 04:17:53 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes wrote:

> --- Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
>> >I thought this was the Libertarian market supporters club here.  ;)
>>
>> I have no tolerance for this.  While it may be a wink to you, for
>> those of
>> us who are trying to clean up the politicizing of ExI and extropians
>> as any
>> one political force, this type of comment is unacceptable.
>
> He meant it in jest, but yeah.  We do need to get the word out:
> "Extropian" is not a blanket synonym for "Libertarian".

Perhaps rather than just getting the word, A is not equal to B out,
when clearly some see A as like B, a worked example might be
produced that shows how a person applying the philosophy of
extropy would, or could, come to a different solution to a particular
problem than a person who was a libertarian.

Once produced the worked example could then be pointed at.

I'm not sure how either the philosophy of extropy or a libertarian
world-view would actually stack up if they were applied to truly
global problems, that is, to the actual real world.

Both seem to me to be more about peoples (the worldview holders)
commitments to certain values.  How those different value sets (if they
are different) would translate into policy differences in the real world
I'm not sure.

Two people can hold the same values in theory and yet act differently
in practice because in practice values come into conflict with each
other and people then prioritise differently between them.

Brett Paatsch