[extropy-chat] Re: The Hidden Luddite was Re: peak oil debate

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 9 19:22:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 02:45:22PM -0400, mail at harveynewstrom.com wrote:

> because it thinks the targets are not the enemy.  The military mindset is
> more on enforcing the chain of command than allowing every soldier to think
> for themselves.  This will even be more so when humans are commanding
> machines.

This contradicts a lot of what I've heard about the US military, where smart
soldiers are allegedly an asset and have been for a long time.  Not just not
obeying illegal orders, but being innovative in the field.  One of the SF
newsgroups was talking about WWII recently, and a claim came up that the
Germans were rather more dependent on a particular line of command, and the
Americans better at regrouping, finding a new line, and going back into
battle.

-xx- Damien X-)