[extropy-chat] Re: The Hidden Luddite was Re: peak oil debate

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 9 19:47:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:22:13PM -0700, Damien Sullivan wrote:

> This contradicts a lot of what I've heard about the US military, where smart
> soldiers are allegedly an asset and have been for a long time.  Not just not
> obeying illegal orders, but being innovative in the field.  One of the SF

I am quite ready to believe that. The point of automation trying to
get "the boys" out of harm's way has an unfortunate side effect of
amplifying potential insanities up the chain of command. Ultimatively,
at the root of the tree. Which might be quite rotten.

Another side effect of teleoperation is that it's just like terminating
non-player characters in Half Life. Plays great, less killing.
Uh, disregard this fortune cookie.

> newsgroups was talking about WWII recently, and a claim came up that the
> Germans were rather more dependent on a particular line of command, and the
> Americans better at regrouping, finding a new line, and going back into
> battle.

I am not sure we have much to learn from a conflict happened 60 years ago.
Surgery may owe a lot to the Gatling (pace, Dr Requa) gun, but what
will be our lesson?