[extropy-chat] National Sovereignty question

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Sun Sep 11 04:45:32 UTC 2005

Not to drag out another piece of politics into this arena but it does
seem to make a good case study
relative to  some of the recent discussion.

The USA has declared  Marc Emery an Enemy of the State much as it would
a foreign terrorist.
Marc Emery has asked the world to be his judge.

Here we have a real example of  actions  meant for terrorists and
murderers being applied to
the act of "conspiring" to promote the production of cannabis in the USA
being applied
to a 10 year period retroacatively.

The response the USA Goverment will get is being done tit for tat.
The question is, will all nations  publicly state that they will
subjugate their citizens rights
to laws that are under dispute even in the nation state taking
extra-national action
in an executive fashion to enforce them.

The question has been called.

***************************************

Pot activist Marc Emery rallies supporters in front of U.S. consulate

by AMY CARMICHAEL
Saturday, September 10, 2005
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/050910/n091039A.html

VANCOUVER (CP) - Marc Emery took a hit from a joint as his fans smoked and
screamed for his freedom in front of the U.S. consulate.

The King of Pot, as he is described by American prosecutors, faces
extradition for seed sales - a crime that isn't prosecuted in Canada - and
up to life in prison if convicted by a U.S. court.

In the same breath, supporters gathered around him demanded sovereignty for
Canada and the worldwide legalization of pot.

People everywhere are outraged and scared it could happened to them,
declared 47-year-old Emery.

"I want to tell you," he shouted above the yells, "You are part of a great
awareness. Today, 40 cities around the world, from Warsaw, Moscow, Russia,
London, Paris, Madrid, Italy, they are rallying at Canadian consulates
around the world. In Melbourne, Australia, and Sydney, Canadian embassies
are being picketed!"

Emery said there are about 50 pot seed companies in Canada selling seeds
every day. The businesses, people who buy from them, people who smoke pot,
believe in Canadian sovereignty, are all appalled he said.

Emery also referred to a poll by a daily newspaper that showed the majority
of Canadians are opposed to his extradition.

"People understand if it happens to me, it can happened to a New Zealander,
a Mexican person. It can happen to an Australian or a person in England or
Paris.

Police officers looked on as Emery spoke and clouds of pot smoke billowed
above the crowd. One officer commented that it was a nice day and that he
was glad it didn't rain.

A number of parents stood in the crowd with babies in strollers. Greg Popler
had his two-year-old son with him as he joined in to support Emery.

"For me this is more about Canadian sovereignty. I support the legalization
of all street drugs, but I'm most against the idea of the U.S. being able to
take Canadians down to face their brand of justice, which is different from
ours."

Emery's extradition hearing starts Sept. 16 in B.C. Supreme Court.

The longtime pot activist is accused of selling marijuana seeds to Americans
through the Internet and the mail, conspiracy to manufacture marijuana and
conspiracy to engage in money laundering.

His co-accused are Michelle Rainey-Fenkarek and Gregory Keith Smith.

The trio was arrested in July after Vancouver police raided Emery's pot
paraphernalia store following an 18-month investigation by the U.S. Drug
Enforcement Administration.

Emery was picked up in Lawrencetown, N.S., while speaking at a music
festival to raise funds for a medical marijuana organization.

He was detained in a Halifax-area jail cell for several days before being
transferred to Vancouver.

During his brief tour and incarceration on the East coast, Emery made quite
an impression. Supporters rallied for him in Halifax in front of city hall
Saturday.

"Halifax is important for this demonstration because this is where Marc
Emery was arrested originally . . . and this whole procedure started," said
Marc-Boris St-Maurice.

St-Maurice, who founded the Marijuana Party before jumping to the federal
Liberals, said if Emery broke the law he should be prosecuted in Canada.

© The Canadian Press, 2005

http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/050910/n091039A.html

    *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of