[extropy-chat] ExI - Discussing Ideas and Debating them

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 12 14:08:15 UTC 2005

Can anyone offer a suggestion about how to effectively discuss/debate ideas
on the list and within ExI virtually?  Since we are scattered around the
world, it is impossible to have a well-defined formal format.

At formal meetings we have a facilitator and an open mic where people line
and state their points and then have audience participation.  How can we
provide an open mic, a timeframe for making a statement, and a civil
environment on the list?

Here's an idea:  We could turn the list into an Extropic Discussion/Debate
Center for a week to a month.  List members would send their topics to the
list moderator for scheduling.  A schedule would go out daily announcing
what the topic is for the day and who the topic's lead poster is and
everyone would have an opportunity to reply. The weekly schedule would be
avilable at extropy.org.  There would probably need to be a limit on the
number of posts in response to the topic's lead poster.  (But if we limit
the number of posts, we could miss out on new ideas.)  Or we could just do
a blog, or we could take this to www.transcolloquium.org which is being
moved to extropy.org.

Whatever we do, we need to have as many people as possible participate, not
just the frequent list posters.  We need an open environment where people
feel free to voice their ideas and discuss them.

This is just one idea - I welcome others.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More