[extropy-chat] Mprize: Meet the Mark and Judy Muhlestein Family Trust Challenge

Reason reason at longevitymeme.org
Sun Sep 18 19:15:23 UTC 2005

http://www.fightaging.org/archives/000609.php

Good news from the Methuselah Foundation, organizers of the Methuselah Mouse
Prize, or Mprize, for anti-aging research:

"The recent SENS II conference was a huge success and The Mprize one of its
beneficiaries. Mark Muhlestein saw the possibility of building on the
amazing research presented and accelerating the day when real anti-aging
therapies are available by supporting the Mprize and has committed to
$25,000 with an offer that expires Jan 1, 2006. From the date of conference
end until then, ALL incoming donations will be matched 1:2 (ie. a dollar
donated is matched by two from the Muhlestein commitment) until there are no
more funds available. We're confident we can help ensure that this generous
offer is taken full advantage of! Join us and let's get every penny of
research incentive!"

Our community has three months to meet this generous challenge grant and
push the Mprize further towards the $2 million mark. If you've been thinking
about donating to the Mprize to help grow support for the science of healthy
life extension and accelerate progress towards real anti-aging medicine,
then now is the time! Ultimately, we are responsible for the way in which
the future turns out; if we want our future to be one of longer, healthier
lives and effective medicines capable of reversing age-related degeneration,
then we have to step up and help to make it happen. Sitting on the sidelines
and hoping is not going to cut it - the future doesn't make itself, and the
past is replete with examples of advances still possible yet never
accomplished. We don't want healthy life extension to be left on the
sidelines when progress is so clearly possible with greater public support
and research funding; if you feel that way too, then donate!

Even just a few dollars makes a big difference in the long term; research
prizes like the Mprize are a very efficient way of making your support
count. The Ansari X Prize led to competitors raising 16 research dollars for
every prize dollar - other prizes have been even more effective. One-time
donations are very welcome, but if you can spare a few dollars a day then
please consider joining the ranks of The Three Hundred:

"For the price of a cup of coffee per day, would you like to join a select
group of humanitarians who will be remembered for their vision and saving
millions of lives? Modern medical science continues to show us that the
aging process may no longer be the intractable problem it has been perceived
to be for every generation preceding ours. There is a present need to move
faster towards a previously unattainable goal: the control of aging. This
need for more rapid medical progess is only magnified by the current
profound lack of funding for aging research. Funding springs, at root, from
widespread public awareness of advances and possibilities in aging research.
Educating the public is an essential step in moving philanthropists and
governments to allocate more resources to the study of aging. The problems
caused by aging leave us poor in body, spirit, and finances. We must step
forward to tackle them!"

I am confident that the wider community can meet this challenge grant and in
the process increase public support - and improve the funding environment -
for serious anti-aging research: now get out there and prove me right.

Reason