[extropy-chat] Camera phones will be high-precision scanners

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 07:32:35 UTC 2005

Camera phones will be high-precision scanners

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7998&print=true

This isn't a quantum leap or anything.  More like a
natural development.  Nevertheless, check out the
details.  I never envisioned OCR as capable as this,
nor wedded to a device as ubiquitous as a cell phone.
(Clearly, not limited to cell phones.)  I've been
wanting a book scanner for years.

I can't wait for everything that hits print to be
digitize-able as easily as music and movies.  The only
thing paper has going for it is intellectual property
protection capability.  Everything else is
inconvenient.  (Okay, curled up in bed with a
captivating read till dawn is still top drawer, but
that's about it.)

YMMV.

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles