[extropy-chat] what other "X-prizes" have been started ?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 22:51:42 UTC 2005

--- user <user at dhp.com> wrote:

> During the peak of the x-prizes publicity curve, while it was being
> won
> and people were flying, etc., I heard a bit of optimism about the
> role of
> bounties in general and the prediction that other X-prizes would be
> started to spur innovation and discovery ...
>
> To what degree has this occurred ?  Anyone know of any other
> "X-prizes" being offered ?

Actually, yes, Bigelow is offering a $50 million prize to the US group
that can provide passenger orbital services to his orbital hotel by
2010. NASA is also offering smaller prizes for various technological
and other achievements, and XCOR is offering a $10k prize for a part
for its rocket fuel piston pump.

Given todays announcements about the new space agenda by NASA, IMHO
they should offer similar prizes to companies that produce products to
meet certain categories, getting away from the single contract awards
and eliminating the expensive cost plus acquisition policies typical of
government bureaucracy.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com