[extropy-chat] Re: Profile the Great Satan? (Peter Fedak)

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Wed Sep 21 20:07:35 UTC 2005

>I see Mike's point and it isn;t about race. It is about using our
>evolved gut instinct and profiling people through several layers -
>race just being one of those. Right now, the people conducting the
>searches have to be "equal and fair" with their searches. They can't
>single anyone out for any reason that might lead anyone to believe
>that the possibility exists that that person may have possibly been
>chosen for a search because they might fit into somone's idea of a
>racial profile. This is crap.

Hmm. Profiling.

Reading something by Bruce Schneier might be useful for you.

"Schneier on Security: Profiling"
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/07/profiling.html

"How We Are Fighting the War on Terrorism
IDs and the illusion of security"
by Bruce Schneier, Tuesday, February 3, 2004
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/02/03/EDGSI4M3171.DTL

"Random Security"
http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/random_security.html
Random searches at airports would catch more terrorists than the
current system of passenger profiling.

"Terror Profiles By Computers Are Ineffective"
By Bruce Schneier for Newsday.
http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/001913.php

http://turnrow.ulm.edu/bruceschneierinterview.htm
  An Interview with Bruce Schneier

Amara

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/