[extropy-chat] Rudy Rucker's "The Lifebox, the Seashell, and the Soul"

Marc Geddes m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 22 07:02:52 UTC 2005

As per the idea that everything is computation, well yes, in a way I agree, but I suspect that's still a long way from the ultimate metaphysics.  'Everything is computation' is simply the last in a long line of metaphors used to describe reality.

Remember, I've been busting my balls for two years trying to develop a TOE (theory of everything) - so all that time I've thinking about metaphysics and what the ultimate noumenon (raw stuff) of reality might be.

For a long time I thought that mathematics might be the ultimate metaphysical noumenon (Mathematical Platonism) but I finally reached an even more radical conclusion.

My latest metaphysical theory (based on two years of deep thought) is that the ultimate metaphysical noumenon of reality has a duel aspect: it's a sort of hybrid of *Cognition* (which is even more general than 'Computation') and *Mathematics*.

I call this weird thing *Mathematico-Cognition*

Reality is stranger than we can imagine.... ;)

---

Please vist my website:
http://www.riemannai.org

Science, Sci-Fi and Philosophy