[extropy-chat] Re: Profile the Great Satan?

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:33:53 UTC 2005

David Lubkin said:<extropy at unreasonable.com>
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Profile the Great Satan? (Peter Fedak)
To: exI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

David Lubkin said:

>Assumes facts not in evidence. What you wrote is rife with
>presumptions that need not be presumed. They can, rather, be tested.
>But we can start with plausibility.
>(a) Switzerland is rich and not attacked.
>(b) The 9/11 hijackers were not poor.
>(c) There are many millions of poor Tibetan Buddhists and Indian
>Hindi, none of whom have attacked the US.
>(d) Terrorists attacked Indonesia.

Some notes on the above - and solving the problem of terrorism...
a... Switzerland has not fought a war for 500 years - it has no enemies - only indifferently allied neighbours and trading partners. Moral: Don't use violence - and you will live in peace!
b... The 9/11 hijackers were not poor... Correct. All ideological opposition with grass roots support becomes better funded and better organised over time - remember the heady victories of the early days in Iraq? Somalia? Vietnam? Before the oppostions rallied? Suggestion: Persuasion rules... One good spin-doctor is worth two carrier loads of death-or-glory marines. Moral: Don't use violence! c... Prediction: Tibetan Buddhists and Indian Hindus will continue to refuse to attack the US - until and unless they find themselves attacked by the US - at which point - look out! Moral: Don't use violence - and you will live in peace!
d... Terrorists attacked Indonesia... Well, not really - they attacked westerners in Indonesia and those considered to be their supporters and allies - Australians bore the brunt because of their perceived alliance with US policy and their availability as near neighbours, frequent visitors and ready targets. Aussies governments are known to rally the troops when called upon by US/UK interests and are often ostracised as interlopers by ASEAN nations. Moral: Don't use violence - and you will live in peace!

>Now resentment's another story. I think you have a better case there.
>On the other hand, there's the common phenomenon of "Yankee go home!
>.... But take me with you."
>-- David.

Strangely, as an Englishman living in Asia (and often - even usually - presumed to be American) I have rarely encountered this kind of prejudice. At a personal level, people are just people. You are judged on your skill, talent, looks, conversational ability, business acumen etc etc - whatever is in the eye of the beholder.. But, individuals are rarely held accountable for your government's policies - and never judged by some kind of generalised profile based on ethnicity. ...I like that - Like most, I hate to be labelled and pigeon-holed.

And, labelling and pigeon-holing is one more reason why amateur profiling sucks. It is just another compelling excuse to apply a stereotype. I have spent more than two months in both Afghanistan and Pakistan in recent times: Conclusion: I must have trained with Al Qaeda? Hardly! True, my non-Moslem family name helps clear me - but how suspicious would it be if I was of Middle-Eastern extraction? Actually, while in Kabul and Peshawar, I saw a few 13 year old boys carrying rifles - but the Afghans and Pakistanis I met were ordinary people doing their jobs in difficult circumstances. And if they want to earn a little nest egg by spending a few years as a taxi-driver or short-order cook in New York, London or Sydney (they often do) - well that's all right with me.. Live and let live... Moral: Don't use violence - and you will live in peace!
Jack