[extropy-chat] 'Beyond Cyberpunk' on the web !

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Sep 22 18:21:38 UTC 2005

>From: "spike" <spike66 at comcast.net>
>Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] 'Beyond Cyperpunk' on the web !
>To: "'ExI chat list'" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>
>Wooohooo, hypercard stacks!  Thanks Amara, this made
>my day.

I loved Hypercard. And MacPaint. And Think Pascal. And all
of those fun and useful programs that made working with a
Mac a total joy. It is now too, but it is far more
'serious'.

>  Many
>of the stacks were clumsy and poorly written, a lot like
>the pages made in the tools hypercard morphed into:
>powerpoint and HTML.

:-(

>Apple had it together in those days, did it not?

Then they dropped the ball on science (early 90s). Finally, recently,
they have picked it up and it looks like the momentum they have
now has some staying power.

Have you noticed the number and variety of web pages titled:

Mac OSX for Astrophysicists
Mac OSX for Geophysicists
Mac OSX for ...
       ?

And now one can buy a CD for Mac OSX of the most useful and impressive
software that astronomers have been using on Unix for some
years (*). For the Mac! I can carry my laptop with everything I
need to do astronomy data processing. I love OSX. Apple did it
right 100% when it came out with that operating system.

(*)

Amara

Off the list for a while; to here: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/dust2005/
and then to visit on Molokai someone special from my childhood.
Ciao!

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/