[extropy-chat] Reading "The Singularity is Near"

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 20:37:49 UTC 2005

--- Marc Geddes <m_j_geddes at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> The secret I think is this:  A general recursively self-improving
> friendly AGI is an AI which understands the *true* nature of mind.
> So to initiate Singularity, we simply design the AGI to understand
> the *true* nature of mind and the rest (friendliness etc) follows
> automatically as secondary consequences.

On the contrary, IMHO such a desired AI should instead understand that
it is a flawed, imperfect being, a unique, freak, and yet happy
accident that cannot, no matter how intelligent it is, consider itself
the be-all, end-all. As it is the creation of flawed beings, so too is
it flawed and must focus on its own improvement with acceptance that
perfection is likely unattainable, and thus perfect understanding of
the true nature of mind is similarly unattainable.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com