[extropy-chat] Reading "The Singularity is Near"

scerir scerir at libero.it
Fri Sep 23 09:28:27 UTC 2005

From: "Marc Geddes"

> Of course as a mere human I can never obtain
> full awareness of the TOE.  But even a *glimmer*
> is enough.

There are interesting (imo) papers about that,
by T.Breuer. His page is:
http://193.170.2.74/tb//tbpublisteengl.html
See, i.e., 'What Theories of Everything Don't Tell',
Studies in the History and Philosophy of Modern Physics,
28,(1997), p.137.

> Mind------*relationship*--------Reality
> So transhuman awareness might be an awareness
> of this *relationship*. And an awareness
> of this relationship constitutes an understanding
> of the *true* nature of mind.  This understanding
> doesn't have to be perfect. Just sufficient.

An interesting (perhaps) reference should be
http://kh.bu.edu/qcl/pdf/albert_d1983066c6d7c.pdf
David.Z. Albert, 'On Quantum-Mechanical Automata',
Physics Letters, 98A, (1983), p.249. It is about
self-awareness (or, simply, awareness) and the
related communication problem (assuming quantum
linearity, and the usual algebra of operators).
Basically it is about the difference between
premeasurements and measurements, or reversible
measurements and irreversible measurements.