[extropy-chat] codes in scam letters

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 25 23:23:34 UTC 2005

Spike wrote:

> .. it occurred to me that they would be the perfect vehicle
> for broadcasting coded messages to sleeper cells or other
> criminal gangs.  No one actually reads very far past
> any email that starts with the word "greetings" so
> this might be just the thing.

I heard a radio discussion about this. The idea raised that
intrigued me was that there are so many ways to get free
email nowadays that potential terrorists or criminals don't
need to send email at all. They could just share an email
account (all know the password) and leave messages for
each other unposted in the intray.

It occurred to me as I listened to that and similar stories
in the media that that sort of commentary which is impossible
to suppress is actually telling potential terrorists and criminals
ways to do what they want to do.

It is going to be very very hard to fight terrorism.

Brett Paatsch