[extropy-chat] codes in scam letters

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 26 05:23:41 UTC 2005

>> Emlyn wrote:
>> > mu!
>>
>> Ah! You've read Hofstadter's Godel, Esher, Bach.
>> Brett Paatsch
>

> I have found mistakes and typos in every book I have
> ever read except Hofstadter's GEB.  Has anyone here
> ever found a grammatical or spelling error in it?  The
> concepts have held up remarkably well for a 26 year
> old masterpiece, have they not?

Not me. I did a quick check and there is lots of highlighting
but not of typos.

Page 619, In Deductive vs Analogical Awareness within
Artifical Intelligence: Retrospects, there is a sentence:

"When a human forgets, it most likely means a high-level
pointer has been lost - not that any information had been
deleted or destroyed".

Glad I highlighted that because I'd forgotten it.

Ironically it goes on "this highlights the extreme importance
of keeping track of the ways in which you store incoming
experiences, for you never know in advance under what
circumstances, or from what angle, you will want to pull
something out of storage".

Amen Douglas!

Brett Paatsch