[extropy-chat] Blog spam

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 06:59:20 UTC 2005

On 27/09/05, Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:
> Since the blogspam is mostly automated, moving to a different host will not
> solve it. All blogs suffer from this.

But wait, surely this requires a bot to parse the page and submit
comments using whatever (non-standard) mechanisms are provided by the
particular blogging software used? In that case, an obscure provider
might be just the ticket. It's worth the effort working out how to
target blogger.com pages with spam, but maybe less so with
goddamnedobscureblogsthatnobodyusesverymuch.com ( <- this isn't real
btw )

> Some solutions are:
>
> 1. Eliminate comments permanently.

Might be the solution :-(

> 2. Moderate all comments. Can be partially automated by only requiring
> moderation of comments that have links in them.

That sounds good, the partial moderation.

> 3. Require a CAPTCHA in combination with user login for comments. Will not
> eliminate the few human spammers out there.

A few human spammers is fine. When they can't automate their work,
it's not a big problem.

> 4. Some newer blog software is incorporating Bayesian comment filtering.

Yes that sounds cool.

Now I've just got to find a decent host (setting up my own stuff is a
last resort, too much virtual housework).

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *